Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Mousse au Chocolat

This has to be THE best Chocolate Mousse you will ever try. Gelatin free. Oh so yummy. This is my husbands recipe. He has always made it and I have never been game enough to try it as it always - I mean always ends up tasting so yummy when hubby makes it. I didn't want to fail. But all things need to be tried, so he is my attempt - and might I say that boy did it go down well. Oh so so so so scrummy.

My eldest son thinks it is better than hubby's and it is quite yummy and set a lot firmer than hubby's as I used double cream instead of normal whipping cream.


White eggs whipped, chocolate mix and whipped double cream.
Folding chocolate mix with the egg whites.
Folded (almost)
folding cream in to the rest of mix.
All done.
Mousse au Chocolat

Ingredients:
6 oz (170gms) German sweet cooking chocolate or good quality dark chocolate
4 large eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp strong liquid coffee
1/2 heavy cream, whipped (I used double cream)

Instructions:
1. Melt the chocolate - I did in microwave at 50% power - for one minute then at 30 second intervals until melted.
2. Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon coloured. Beat vanilla, coffee and melted chocolate in to yolks.
3. Beat egg whites in a large bowl until they stand in peaks, and fold in the chocolate mixture. Gently fold in the whipped cream.
4. Transfer to serving dish or cups and chill for 2 hrs. Garnish with sweetened whipped cream.
5. Variations: Rum or orange liqueur may be substituted for the coffee.

No comments: